Monday, March 1, 2010

Olympics

What an Olympics!! It was so much fun to watch and Arik and I hardly got anything done. I am proud to be an American and am happy for all those that did well. The Olympics were full of everything: heart break, upsets, amazing, even death.

We did an Olympics unit in my English classes. They wrote papers on the history of the Games, an event at the Games, and a person that participated in the event they chose that was competing at the games. They would come to class excited to tell me what they watched or how the person they chose was doing. They also started to really like the Olympics.

One thing I am grateful about is being a citizen of the United States of America. When someone does not do well, we do not threaten thier lives. The poor coach from the Netherlands (who told his skater to move into the wrong lane) will be placed in Witness protection when he gets back because of the death threats on his life.

The Korean girl who skated perfectly but was told that if she didn't win gold not to come home.

Or even the Russian olympic committee who are under pressure and people are up in arms to have them fired because the atheletes didn't do well.

Think back to four years ago when Bode Miller had his collapse. No one threatened his life and no coaches were questioned. We put the blame on the man and told him to try and prove himself again before we could trust him. No death threats, no don't come home. We are happy with what happens. Disappointed a little but always know that there is more four years from now.

The USA did wonderful this year. More medals than ever before by any country. We should be proud to be American and proud of what our Olympians accomplished. WAY TO GO USA!!!!

I loved watching the Olympics with Brookelyn. Each time someone raced or competed, she asked, "Is that a USA guy?" If I said yes she would cheer for them. If I said no, she would say tell me when a USA guy races and then would leave the room. She decided that she wants to be in the Olympics she we asked her to chose a sport and we would support her. "Not sledding," she said, "it is too fast and scary."

Lukas loved the arieals and watching guys do cirlces in the air as he put it. It was great to see them get excited about the Olympics.

Now back to the old routine of life!!!! (Okay not old but not like the Olympics!!)

1 comment:

Rose Ann and David said...

I was so excited too! I love the olympics and the way I feel when our athletes are competing. You said it perfectly. Way to go USA!! Way to go Ryan Miller our USA goalie for Hockey!! We wouldn't have gotten to the gold medal game without him!!